Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Top albums of 2008!

Since it's the last day of the year, I thought I'd post my favorite albums of the year. The list is much longer, but I'll spare you and only list 6. After leaving my friends in Savannah and moving to a new place, I've really been listening to a lot of fun/dance music and have temporarily ditched the more maudlin tunes of folk music. Since this list is only for albums, a few fave songs are Hot Chip "Ready For The Floor", Ssion "Heaven", Lady Gaga "Just Dance", Tilly & The Wall "Beat Control", Crystal Castles "Good Time", Beyonce "Radio", Brandy "1st & Love"

Janelle Monae "Metropolis Suite" though not an album release, this EP is strong from start to finish. Very reminiscent of Andre 3000's "The Love Below", but better, imo. Check out the video for "Many Moons"

Kate Miller Heidke "Curiouser" is so much fun! This aussie is in top form on tracks: "Can't Shake It" and "God's Gift"

She & Him "Volume One" featuring the vocal talents of the lovely Zooey Deschanel (actress "Elf", and "The Happening"). There's something very classic about her voice. This is actually more on the folksy side, but keeps from getting to heavy. Loves it!

Roisin Murphy "Overpowered" One of my absolute fave's from '08! She's sort of like Bjork, but a bit more for the masses. Lots of dancey tunes, but not shallow like most dance music.

Kylie Minogue "X" Lots of dancey tunes and not much of a message, but with tracks like "In My Arms", "Wow!", and "Speakerphone" this album has earned it's position in my top 5 faves of '08. I just love Kylie. What a great person, and still so beautiful. Check out some of her new vids on youtube.

Cyndi Lauper "Bring Ya To The Brink" is another dance album with (for the most part) a deeper message. From social responsibility to relationships, women's rights, and gay rights this album is one of Cyn's most lyrically creative. Collaborating with acts such as Basement Jaxx, Dragonette (amazing, check out their album "Galore"), and Peer & Astrom, Cyndi has some of the strongest dance songs of the year. The much overlooked DJ fave, "Into The Nightlife", is my #1 favorite song of the year. I dare you to sit down during that song! Other fave's are: "Echo", "Rain On Me", "Lay Me Down", "Rocking Chair".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bored at work today, huh? :)